Skip to main content

Decoupage Pumpkins!

Happy Fall!  The Mississippi Gulf Coast has experienced a touch of cooler weather the last few days.  It is so nice to sit out on the porch, rocking and enjoying God's creation.   Ecclesiastes 3:11 tells us that "God makes everything beautiful in its time".  My favorite time is fall...the crisp air, the smell of cinnamon and cloves, football, the beautiful hues of changing leaves, and on and on.  Not to mention my hair always looks better in cool weather!

Since fall is in the air, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite fall decorating projects.  This is an easy project and may bring back memories from childhood.  Do you remember decoupaging?  I did a few class projects involving "gluing" strips of torn paper onto objects.  It was always messy, but fun.

How about a little decoupage history?  I didn't know this, but there is documentation of the decoupage technique prior to the 12th century. Artisans were known to apply up to 40 layers of varnish creating a smooth, inlayed look.  Even though this technique has been around for ages, my inspiration for this project originally came from the October 2011 issue of Country Living...and didn't take 40 layers of varnish!
 
Items needed for this project include:
1- Craft store pumpkin, medium size
1- Bottle of  Mod Podge ( aka modern day decoupage in a jar)
1- sponge brush
3- sheets of scrapbook paper
1- Pair of disposable gloves (optional)
For my first pumpkin, I selected an orange patterned scrapbook paper that was more expensive than some of the others, so it was fairly thick.  I began cutting wavy strips between 1 inch to 2 inches in width.  After laying everything out, I applied Mod Podge with a foam brush to the back of a paper strip as well as on  the pumpkin.   Next, position the paper strip and then repeat the steps until the entire pumpkin is covered.   Use your fingers to press the paper onto the pumpkin, sealing edges with the pressure of your fingertips.
 Lastly, I applied a couple of layers of Mod Podge to the entire pumpkin and let it dry overnight.  After topping it with a raffia bow, it is ready to add a cheerful bit of color to our home.
I also used a smaller pumpkin and made this black and white beauty.  The scrapbook paper used for this project was thinner and I found that it was much easier to apply to the pumpkin.
I have a large walk in closet dedicated to storing bins of holiday decorations.  These pumpkins continue to look as good as when I first did them 3 years ago.  I hope you try this easy project.  It would be a wonderful family project as well.  Anytime spent with your family is time well spent!

Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

I will be linking to these terrific blogs! 


Metamorphosis Monday at  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/
Masterpiece Monday at http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. LOVE these pumpkins!! I will have to try my hand at this!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by! I bought my Autumn Village at JoAnn Fabrics about 10 years ago and found a few more houses several years ago at The Christmas Tree Shop but I have not seen any for a few years now. Maybe on Ebay????

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved JoAnn's Fabrics. Ours closed down years ago, but there is one about an hour away. I will have to check Ebay. Thanks for the suggestions!
      Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot