Skip to main content

A Happy Vintage Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving friends!  The turkey is in the oven roasting to golden perfection or at least that's the goal!  I am sitting here with a cup of coffee and wanted to share a post from several years ago.  It's a few vintage Thanksgiving greetings and magazine covers.  While you're waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven, relax with a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy these images from yesteryear.

I know this mamma is happy to have her sailor home for Thanksgiving!
Please say it isn't so!  I confess...I did love these Banquet dinners when I was little.  Whenever we had them, they seemed like such a treat.  
A simmering-talking pot!
This adorable girl is eyeing the turkey! I am curious about the article by Demaree Bees listed at the bottom of the cover!
Vintage cards are always wonderful expressions of art.  This one is no exception.
Wonder what this little Pilgrim is telling the chicken?
Another nostalgic Saturday Evening Post. What a difference in the football uniforms of today and those of 1928?
Hmmm...maybe they should have plucked and roasted the turkey first!
I have never had a pumpkin pecan pie.  How about any of you?
I guess home makers have been making pies for ages!
Anticipation...I am not so sure about that turkey!  Looks a little diseased.
Over the river and through the woods...
This is a 1914 edition of The Saturday Evening Post.
Lastly, I leave you with this beautiful card.
Many blessings to you and yours this Thanksgiving from
Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse!  
"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, His love endures forever"  Psalm 136:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot