Skip to main content

A Day With Mr Darcy...The New Man In My Life!

Hi friends! Hope you all had a wonderful October. I wrote this post months ago and am finally getting around to posting it.  After I decided to start blogging again, my mother was rushed to surgery with a ruptured colon and was the hospital and rehab for over two months. Life suddenly revolved around ICU visiting hours and meeting with doctors.  I am happy to report that she is home and doing well. The Lord blessed us beyond measure with her incredible recovery. I'll write more about her journey later.  So for now, let me tell you about my little ray of sunshine!

Last summer a new man came into my life, much to the distress of my husband! Whereas my husband has beautiful blue eyes, my new guy has big, brown eyes. The type that seem to look into your soul. In fact, that is what drew me to him...that look he gave me the first time we met. It was love as first sight. My new fellow is soft and likes to cuddle.  My husband is rock hard and when he doesn't shave for a day, his stubble feels like course sandpaper. Whereas one is 6'2" the other is, well very short! I am sure you have deduced (as if the photos didn't give it away) that my new man is of the canine variety.  Let me introduce you!


His name is Darcy Bennet. He is named for that famous, moody character in one of my favorite books.  I often call him Darcy Doodle or Mr. Darcy. He is an apricot toy poodle. When we first got him home, he weighed a little more than one pound. Much to our dismay, we found out that he was very sick with parasites.  Unfortunately, he had to be admitted to our local Animal ER the day after we brought him home. They put him on IV meds immediately. After he perked up, they brought him out to see us before we left for the night.  Look at his little paw with the IV. So pitiful.

I went to visit him the next day and he looked 100% better.  He had the entire hospital staff wanting to care for him! After vacationing at the ER for a few days, he came home to us a totally different pup. He did require a great deal of care. We had to syringe feed Darcy every four hours throughout the day and night.  This was in addition to meds given during the day.  It was exhausting, but I realized that he was totally helpless and dependent on us to survive.
Nasty meds and yummy food!
After he recovered, we found out that he was  a very mischievous pup. He was so little that he would get himself into some precarious predicaments. Help! How do I get out?
He also loved to sit for photographs.  We call this one, You Are My Bucket List!
First trip to see his human Dad's office! He was quite the handsome fellow that day!
Cute, little toys don't stand a chance with Mr. Darcy!

We live in the south so you can expect a hurricane or two to crop up. Darcy was ready!
We couldn't decide which costume to wear that first Halloween. How about a Fire Pup?
Or maybe a Super Pup?!!

Oh my goodness!  How quickly a year went! He looks totally miserable here. I bet he is thinking, "Really? Do I really have to sit here with this hat on and take yet another photo?"!!

A little laundry room boredom while the floors were being mopped! He is an expert at looking pitiful.
He loves to play Canasta with the family! 
Darcy is always on the lookout for a snack! Look how much he has changed.

I could go on and on and show you a gazillion photos, but will stop here.  Look for him on Instagram soon.  He is a special part of our family.  Everyone needs a Mr. Darcy in their life and I'm so glad that we have our very own.

Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

Comments

  1. Oh Lynda, he is so cute. Doggies are the best.
    So glad your mom is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so sweet. I adopt rescue dogs and my latest is Malady. She is a black and gray poodle. She is my companion in everything. So sorry to here about your mother but thanking God she is recovering. Blessings to you and Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I must say that your new man is adorable and looks like you are having a great time with him. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new guy is so precious. Horrible, that he was on overload with parasites. We all have parasites, yes even humans. I am a dog nutrition educator and also very holistic. I use Diatomaceous earth (DE) food grade, in my own smoothies daily as well as put it in all of my dogs food. This is a holistic and safe way to keep natural worms/parasites at bay. Parasites serve a purpose, but it is when they are out of control in the body that they take over. Glad he is feeling well and being a normal puppy now. He is great in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot