Skip to main content

Wow Your Guests with A Welcoming Thanksgiving Entryway

Hi friends! Is your home already decorated for Christmas or are you a die hard after Thanksgiving decorator? I admit that my home is almost Christmas ready.  My boys will be in Sunday evening and they once mentioned that they would rather enjoy our Christmas décor as opposed to fall leaves and pumpkins.  Well you know that's all it took, so I have been a little elf and have been in a decorating frenzy.  I'll share my Christmas décor with you later.  For now, we have one of my favorite holidays right around the corner...Thanksgiving!

I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner, so my dining room is everything Thanksgiving.  If you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner, I imagine that you want your entryway to look festive and welcoming.  I love the colors of harvest time.  There is such warmth and beauty in the hues of fall.  There is still time to jazz up your front door before your guests arrive!

There is an old English proverb based on Matthew 6:22 which states the "eyes are the window to the soul".  I think it can also be said that the front door of a home is the window to the soul of the home.  The front door and surrounding outer entryway is the first impression for our guests.  Fall entryway decor can be a fabulous way to make that first impression a lasting one.  With the abundance of mums, pumpkins, gourds, and other fall flowers available this time of year, you too can welcome your Thanksgiving guests with a festive atmosphere.   I thought I would put together a few fantastic examples for you to peruse, maybe with a cup of hot cider by your side. 

We will start with my home.  The front entryway is normally decorated with pumpkins topiaries, corn stalks, mums, grapevine wreaths with burlap roses, and jaunty scarecrows. I place corn stalks close to the front door.  Since I decided to decorate early for Christmas, this front door entry décor has been moved to our side door.  Most of our guests always arrive at that door anyway.  Lets look at some other festive entryways!
This lovely entryway is compliments of the Inn at Harbor Hill Marina.  I love the corn stalks attached to the posts.  The scarecrows can be stored away until next October and this entry would be a delightful way to welcome guests for Thanksgiving dinner.
Notice the carved street number in one of the pumpkins pictured below fromCornerstone Homes.  Pumpkins and gourds can be used throughout fall; however, many stores begin to sell their pumpkins for a reduced rate after Halloween.  A teacher friend of mine purchased three buggies full of pumpkins from a local super store for all of 23 cents!  Not 23 cents each, three buggies full for 23 cents!  If you want to jazz up your entryway for Thanksgiving, check out the sales.
Here is another example with mums, pumpkins, and stalks.The golden light glowing from the door and windows gives this home a warm and inviting look.Another beautiful entryway!  This one is from Dysfunctional Design blog.  Okay, I would have to sweep up the leaves, but they look great here!
This entryway from Something to Some People is understated, yet lovely.  I think the pea gravel walkway lends a rustic look along with the stone dwelling.  I bet the owner of this home has afternoon tea.
Southern Living is known for beautiful photography and classic designs.  The addition of the lanterns adds a special touch to this welcoming front porch.
I hope I have inspired you with some last minute decorating ideas.  Head outside and make your front door and entryway a place where the eye lingers, the heart stills, and a smile crosses the face of your Thanksgiving guests. 
Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving from Still Woods Farmhouse

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your front doors. I put up Christmas as soon as the turkey is put away. In fact, yesterday I took down all my fall decor to let my house breathe this week before I go into full force Christmas. I am chomping at the bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely decorated porches. I don't always decorate for the holidays. Have to be in the mood for it. No rules over my way. Definitely not a traditionalist It is always fun to watch house transformations in blog land as homes get filled up with the current trends. If I decorate this year it will much closer to Christmas. Hope your holiday is blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot