Skip to main content

Quarantine Reno: The Butler's Pantry/Laundry Room

Good morning everyone! I wanted to share with you a major renovation which Mr. Still Woods and I accomplished during the quarantine. I have been feeling a huge push to simplify not only my life, but our home as well.  I started with reorganizing room by room and donating items we no longer use. After that was accomplished, I began thinking. My husband says that my thinking is always dangerous and usually means a lot of work for him! So let me tell you how this all started. 

I have a large pantry in the kitchen with pull out drawers and deep shelves. While it holds tons of pantry items, I was always complaining because items tend to meander to the back of the shelves. When you need a flashlight to see what's in your pantry, you know its too large.  So I decided that I wanted to relocate our pantry into a free standing, shallow unit.  We sat down and drew up a plan we were both happy with.  As with most plans, our plan got altered along the way.  What was to have been a complete new build, became a merging of items we already had on hand.  Let's call it simplifying and creating something new from something old!

Where to put the butler's pantry was the easy part of this project.  Our laundry room is close the kitchen and was originally intended to have a second set of stairs to the upper floor. We already had a main staircase, so why need another? We had the builder remove the stairs from the plan and put in a laundry shoot.  Our cabinet maker built a cabinet for folding clothes, wrapping gifts, etc. So without the stairs, we had a lot of extra space. Here is the room before we took everything out to begin our project.

Several steps were involved, so to simplify (I'm beginning to see a key word here), I'm just going to list what we had to accomplish.  

1. Remove the refrigerator from the laundry room. See it on the left?  It was great for holding party platters, but stuck out like a sore thumb. It has a new home in the garage.

2. After we removed everything from the old laundry room, we gave it a fresh coat of paint.  I went with Sherwin Williams Alabaster.  It certainly brightened up the room!

3. Remove the bookcases in the dining room that served to display my milk glass collection.  This wasn't in the original plan, but during dinner one night I had a light bulb moment and the rest is history!  This required us to repaint the dining room, but that transformation is for another time!    

4. Remove the top section of our old china cabinet. It held my Christmas china year round and was either on top of the laundry room built in or with the bottom of the china cabinet and in the laundry room. 

5. Strain backs while carrying the lower portion of the china cabinet upstairs to begin life as another creation!

6. Paint the dining room bookcase surround and the upper section of the china cabinet white.  Leave the bookcase shelves stained.     

7. Build a center section to hold the upper china cabinet and bolt the bookcases to the sides of this unit. 

8. Back the pantry unit with bead board and build baseboard molding for one cohesive look. Hubby did an awesome job with the molding!

9. Build a seat in the area where the refrigerator was previously located and add a wall section with hooks for hanging coats, etc. Make a spot for our toy poodle, Mr. Darcy's daytime bed!

10.  Whew...I think that's the major points!

So we basically built one lower/center unit, combined that with the two bookcases previously used to hold my milk glass collection, topped the middle unit with our old china cabinet and FINALLY ended with one cohesive unit.  All thanks to the magical skills of Mr. Still Woods!

Here's a closer look at the pantry. I'm in love with it! I ordered labels from the Talented Kitchen.  The bin label holders were purchased at Really Good Stuff for a phenomenal price! The baskets came from Michaels Crafts during a half price sale. Everything is organized, labeled when possible and best of all... easy to locate! No dark void!
Everything was backed with white bead board, with the exception of the milk glass display.  I wanted to add a color that would contrast well with the white of the milk glass and make the milk glass pop. I selected  Raindrop by Sherwin Williams.  It is a beautiful, tranquil shade of  blue  Here's a closer look at the milk glass display. I selected just a few of my favorite items to display.
After the unit was built and painted, we proceeded to the area where our second refrigerator had been located. Mr. Still Woods used more of his magic and what was once a space for a bulky refrigerator is now... drum roll please... this adorable space! I couldn't get a photo from top to bottom, so had to split it up.  

Here is the top! We found the cute label hooks at Hobby Lobby. The top is trimmed out the same way as the window trim. I picked up the Silos bag on a trip to Magnolia Market in Waco last fall. I may have picked up a few other things as well!
And here is the bottom! The hand basket was given to me by a sweet friend and is very, very old. It has such character. I can imagine it being carried to the market to pick up staples for another pantry long ago. Since the pantry is so close, the seat is a good place to sit and jot down a grocery list.
I didn't want to clutter the walls, so chose slender candle holders to frame the window. The candles were purchased at QVC and are Luminara candles.  They flicker like a real flame and are controlled with a remote.  Love that! I have them in serval areas of the house. The window ledge is usually decorated for different seasons, but when I took this photo, it was bare. I can't wait to hang a swag of garland from the window at Christmas time. 
Everything went fairly well with the transformation. I did find out that you just can't move an electrical box! My request was met with a flat out NO! Who knew moving an electrical panel would be such a big deal? So, I removed the door to the electrical box and spray painted it white.  A few pieces of decor and wah-lah, I don't think it looks too bad! I picked up the rustic, wooden "trivet", located behind the bread flour, during a trip last fall to Roundtop Antique Show. Do you see my little, metal cheese board mouse by the candle? The water color of the beets is from a set of four, signed vegetable water colors. The other three hang on the wall nearby.
I also added a runner to the room, purchased from Boutique Rugs. Mr. Darcy loves his rug! The cabinet to the left now holds, items such as additional serving trays, flatware, candle sticks, etc.

The area above the butler's cabinet has a new piece of art made by a friend of ours from church.  She and her husband hope to adopt a child soon and she began making all kinds of awesome items to assist in adoption costs. I love the song, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, so asked her to create a sign with part of the song. It turned out perfectly! Above the sign is an industrial pipe clothes rack that I found on Amazon. We removed the longer clothes rack when we renovated.  This smaller, classier version serves me well. 
Let me just say that I am so happy with how our Butler's Pantry/Laundry Room combo turned out. It is bright and cheerful! My food pantry is well organized and I love knowing what food items I have on hand without using a flashlight to reach into the dark abyss that was my old pantry. The old kitchen pantry has been turned into a china cupboard and holds all my various sets of china, minus the one set that is displayed in my dining room. I'll have to show you the china cupboard later!

Did you do any home projects during the quarantine? Share and let me know! 

Blessings and Good Health,

Lynda from Still Woods Farmhouse

Comments

  1. Wow, it looks amazing. I know you are in love with it. Can't wait to see the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! We are pleased with how it came out. I'm looking forward to sharing a few other projects we completed during the past months. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Such great changes. You did a phenomenal job with your ideas and the work itself. Good idea to put that refrigerator out in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Ellen! Thank you for the sweet comments! That fridge always bugged me and now its just a few steps away, but totally out of the way in the garage. Hope you are having a great day!

      Delete
  3. This is a really good site post, i am delighted I came across it. I will be back down the track to check out other posts that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been out of touch for a while with so much going on in my life and I was lost because of my illness but I'm stronger and I am here to tell you about a natural remedy that is guaranteed to make you wonder why your doctor didn't tell you about it. Then, on the other hand, it is pretty obvious why your doctor didn't, because that's not his job, is it? But, seriously, promise me you won't get too angry with your health practitioner, it's really not their fault. They can only practice what they're told to practice, right? When your health is at risk there's no time for Tom foolery, you've got to get down to the cause and nip it in the bud. So you've been suffering from painful gout attacks have you? Well, allow me to give you a new perspective on the solution to what plagues you I was once in your shoe until my college friend introduce me to Dr Itua herbal center which cure my hiv/herpes,Lymphedema, after drinking it for two weeks as instructed, Dr Itua is an africa herbal doctor who has natural power to cure all human illness diseases I believe Dr Itua so much because he help me cure my hiv/ herpes which has being my burden in life so I promised Dr Itua that I will testify about his work online after curing me and that is what I'm doing here so please if you are sick from those diseases do not hesitate to write Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or chat with him on his online store www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot