Skip to main content

The Flavors of Fall: Caramel Apple Cider

Are you looking for a delicious cider to warm up your family on a brisk, fall evening? Or maybe Trick or Treating is still on in your area of the world and you wanted something to sip while walking with the kids around the neighborhood? Well, look no further!  I found this recipe on a Taste of Home site and made a few minor adjustments from the original recipe. It’s been so long since I first served it that I can't remember what I adjusted. 😉

I've served this a variety of ways, but my favorite was having it as part of cider and coffee bar.  It was a huge hit! The best thing about this recipe is that you can mix it up and let it warm in the crock pot while you take care of other items. I can envision this decadent cider simmering on the counter as you and your family take a brisk walk after a big Thanksgiving meal or after coming home from selecting that perfect Christmas tree. Just imagine walking into the house and smelling the luscious scents of apple, cinnamon, caramel wafting around the kitchen ready to warm those cold hands and fill hungry tummies! Well enough dreaming! Let's get to the recipe.

The starting lineup:

  • 8 cups of apple cider...not apple juice
  • 1 cup of caramel syrup (Torani brand or DaVinci found in the coffee aisle)
  • 1/4 cup of lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tablespoon of whole allspice
  • Cheesecloth
  • Toppings:  Whipped cream and Hershey's caramel syrup (type used for ice cream)

 Directions:

1.     In a 3 quart slow cooker, combine the apple cider, DaVinici or Torani caramel syrup and lemon juice.    

2.     Cut a square of cheesecloth large enough to hold the cinnamon sticks and cloves.  Place sticks and cloves in the middle of the square and bring up corners.  Tie with a string to form a spice bag.  Place the bag in the cider mixture.  

3.     Cover and heat thoroughly for 2-3 hours.  

4.     Discard spice bag.  

5.     Stir in 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla.  

6.     Ladle into mugs and top with whipped cream and a drizzle of Hershey's caramel syrup.

I hope you enjoy this delicious cider as much as we do!  The weather is turning a little cooler here and I'm ready to make a steaming pot!

 

Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Treasure in the Vines....Waverly Plantation

Imagine a dream.  A dream in which you are wandering through the woods and discover a beautiful, long forgotten home.  A home which rises above jasmine vines wrapped tightly around graceful columns.  A home which has endured the ravages of rain, the heat of hot Mississippi summers, the infestation of bees and bats, and yet still retains the grace of a bygone era.  Such a dream came true for the Snow family. Robert and Donna Snow owned an antique store in Phildelphia, MS.  One day a salesman stopped by and told them that he had gotten lost down by the river and found a beautiful home, hidden in the woods near West Point, MS.  According to Melanie Snow, one of the Snow's children, her parents stayed up all night thinking about the home.  The next morning they told their children that they were going on an adventure, packed the kids in the car,  and off they went.  Imagine their delight when they discovered this beautiful home . . . Waverly....

Ronald McDonald House and Recipes: A Winning Combo!

I have collected recipes and recipe books for as long as I can remember.  Some of my most treasured recipes include my grandmother's hand written sour cream pound cake recipe dotted with batter and spattered with dots of vanilla.  It has a place of honor in my recipe notebook which contains some of my family's favorite recipes.  When we built our home, I had a set of bookshelves built in the kitchen to hold my collection of recipe books as well as a collection of milk glass.  I love to cook while looking at some of my favorite things around me. Last night, I went to Dillards to do a little shopping.  As I checked out I noticed the annual Southern Living Cooking for Christmas cookbook at each register.  Only $10.00!  I snatched one up and added it to my items.  I love Southern Living cookbooks with their beautiful pictures and mouth watering recipes.  A bonus of this cookbook is that Dillards has once again teamed up with Southern Living to ...

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces...