Skip to main content

Red Velvet Brownies and a 50th Birthday!

Yesterday my little sister turned 50!  Shocking, but true.  Like many siblings, we would fight over insignificant matters.  Who gets the odd Ravioli from a can we were splitting?  This was decided diplomatically. . . if you were the dividing the Ravioli, you got the odd one.  Why does my chore list seem harder than hers?  Why does she always cross the imaginary line down the back seat of the car as we traveled?  Why did she get to shave her legs years before I did?  Please keep in mind that this was a total insult to me.  I had dark hair and she had blonde!  Those of you with dark hair know why I was insulted by the fact that she had permission  to shave her "no color" hair while I had to have dark, hairy legs!  I could go on and on, but instead, will tell you that we are best of friends, even though we still argue on family trips!

Each year, we celebrate her birthday by having a "A Christmas Story" birthday party.  We have a blast eating Chinese takeout and dressing up as scenes from the movie. The best dressed group wins a prize.  Last year, we dressed as the "soap poisoning" scene.  When she answered the door we were ready with our lines.  Needless to say, we won the prize!  Usually, the Christmas Story party is delayed until my oldest son flies in for Christmas.  So on my sister's real birthday, we celebrate by going out to eat, but save the real party for later.  Last night, we went to her favorite local restaurant, Aunt Jenny's.  After dinner I invited everyone back to our home for a small dessert party.  My sister loves red velvet cake and my mother makes a special, scrumptious red velvet cake each year for the "A Christmas Party" birthday celebration.  Last night, I thought I would make a batch of red velvet brownies.  Not too much after a heavy meal and very different from my mother's delicious cake.
Let's take a look at this easy recipe:

Red Velvet Brownie Layer:
1 stick butter
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of red food coloring
1 teaspoon of vinegar
2 eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour

Cream Cheese Layer:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:  
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.

Brownie layer: In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Remove the butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix. Fold in the flour until lightly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.

Cream cheese layer: Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan. Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.

Our dinner table overlooked the sparking, moonlit waters of the bayou. . . the red velvet brownies were a hit and the evening was filled with laughter and wonderful conversation.   A truly special night.

"A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life" - Isadora James
Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse
Sharing with these terrific blogs:



Comments

  1. What a beautiful post and tribute to Pamela on her birthday. Dad and I are so blessed to have you girls as our lovely, Christian daughters. Yes, there was always some sort of "debate" going on at home or in the car, especially on our long trips when we were moving with the US Coast Guard. They were wonderful years and we are so proud of both of you. Thanks for the delicious red velvet brownies and always, for the sweet memories. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mom! But what memories we share in those long "debates'! Love you!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your little sisters. You two ladies are just lovely! I don't have any siblings and always wanted some. Those brownies look heavenly. I think I've already gained 3 pounds! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me and have a blessed Christmas.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila! The brownies are delicious and pretty! I probably did gain 3 pounds by eating them!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Merry Christmas and Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete
  4. Yum! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Wishing you a lovely Sunday and a very Merry Christmas♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine! They are yummy and quite easy to put together. I am making another batch for an extra Christmas Day dessert.
      Merry Christmas and Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful Birthday tribute. The brownies look soooooooooooooooooooo good. I definitely need to make these. Thanks tons for the visit and I wish you a very Blessed and Merry Christmas. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marty! The brownies are really good! I hope you try them.
      Merry Christmas and Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete
  6. A very Happy 50th Birthday to you!!
    Have never heard of red velvet brownies!! Know they must be delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, in the words of Rachel Ray, "delish"! A great Christmas or Valentine's Day dessert. Just the right amount of red velvet!
      Merry Christmas and Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

      Delete
  7. These look delicious!! If it weren't for the pesky weight I have gained, I would try them soon!! Happy birthday to Pam!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet! Both of you are beautiful! I have two older sisters that I cherish. Growing up we had our share of arguments and disagreements. I think all siblings do that.
    The red velvet brownies look divine and I bet they tasted awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I had planned to share my new front door decor, but alas, like many residents of the MS Gulf Coast, all  loose outside objects have been secured as we await the arrival of Hurricane Isaac. Instead, I thought I would share with you a set of my favorite dinnerware.  I began collecting Memory Lane ironstone many years ago, but my love of the pattern began when I was just a little girl.  My Grandma Mercer had one dinner plate.  I imagine that she picked it up either in a box of laundry soap or as a reward for shopping at the IGA of Chattahoochee, Florida.  I came to love her one plate.  My grandmother would make sure that my food was served on that plate no matter what other dinnerware pattern was set on her table!  When she passed away, I was blessed to receive her dining room set which included a lovely buffet with glass knobs along with the matching table and chairs.  I also received my Memory Lane plate. During my search for more pattern pieces, I found out that Memory Lane is consi

Fun Fall Door Decor

I am ready for the heat of summer to be over and the cool breezes of fall to head our way.  My sister called me the other day and said she wanted to pull out her autumn decorations and to that I say "Amen, Sista"! We both can't wait to say, "Happy Fall Ya'll"!! In the meantime, I need to update my fall door decor and have been looking for a few, fresh ideas.  Better Homes and Gardens had some wonderful fall wreath ideas.  I adore this unusual "wreath" made from a rake. Who said a wreath must be round? Etsy and Pinterest have an abundance of wreath ideas including several swags to use on your harvest door. Another cute idea from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes me think of  warm apple crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream!   Yum!  Or how about those wonderfully apple scented candles?  Love those! Monograms are all the rage.  I think this would be a simple wreath to make.  Raise your hand if you like simple projects! Super cu

Thanksgiving Dinnerware to Grace Any Table

Southern Living recently published an article entitled "Turkey Plate Special" chronicling the origins of certain patterns.  Who knew that when Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863, we would end up with beautiful transferware patterns honoring the official bird of Thanksgiving?  I was excited to see my pattern, "His Majesty" by Johnson Brothers in the article.  We lovingly call these our Traveling Turkey Dishes.  Click  here  to find out why! I set our Reading Room   table with His Majesty for a quick peek at this beautiful pattern.  I love my "Traveling Turkey Dishes".  It is a joy to get them out and use them throughout November.  I also love this old table.  It has the scars of a well lived life and reminds me so much of my sweet grandmother who loved it as much as I do. A close up of His Majesty shows the lovely colors of the season.  I don't own the turkey platter, but it is on my wish list! (Replacements) Anot